Eudora users beware...

Mark Nearhos Mark.Nearhos@anu.edu.au
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:55:44 +1000

At 4:03 PM 31/10/96, Bill Fisher wrote:
>I believe that a standard has been authoritatively defined which says that
>a URL appearing in a sentence shoud be enclosed in "<>" characters as in
><http://www.qut.edu.au/>. Unfortunately I cannot remember my source.

RFC1738 <URL:ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1738.txt> has an Appendix called
"Recommendations for URLs in Context" which suggests the form
<URL:http://www.blah.com/index.html> when referring
to URLs in a context where they are not interpreted (eg on a piece of
paper).

Other RFCs have components that then include this format (eg RFC1808
<URL:ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1808.txt> when referring to Base URLs)

Mark

Mark.Nearhos@anu.edu.au                       phone: +61 6 249 4431
Australian National University Library          fax: +61 6 249 4382