[LINK] From Salon: "spectrum is infinite"

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin at informa.com.au
Thu Mar 13 10:47:55 EST 2003

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/03/12/spectrum/index1.html?x

I would usually dismiss the sort of stuff that's in this article - except
that the person saying it, David P Reed, has lots of cred and history.

>We have stupid radios not because we haven't figured out how to make them
>smart but because there's been little reason to make them smart. They're
>designed to expect signal to be whatever comes in on a particular
frequency, and
>noise to be everything on other frequencies.

Very interesting. And the physics is sound (well, sound but Salon-ised a
bit).

And Salon has just introduced me to yet another infuriating advertising
technique. When I pressed the "back" button to return to the beginning of
the article - I was taken to a full-screen car ad. :-p

Richard Chirgwin