[LINK] Fwd: Census Config [Was: Personal comments on the eCensus form]

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Aug 2 18:56:25 AEST 2006

Doesn't seem to have got through by 18:55, so this is a re-send.

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:02:25 +1000
To: link at anu.edu.au
From: Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au>
Subject: Census Config [Was: Personal comments on the eCensus form]
Cc: domain.management at abs.gov.au (Duncan Anderson)

Tom Worthington wrote at Tue, 01 Aug 2006 15:26:03 +1000:
>  So far I haven't been able to get the web site to respond. ABS says
>this is because the web site is new and I should check if my ISP has
>updated their DNS recently. But I have the same problem with a
>commercial ISP and via ANU and AARnet.

[Roger's seriously dubious comments about ISPs needing to actively
'update their DNS' excised]

At 16:33 +1000 2/8/06, Howard Lowndes wrote:
>DNS shouldn't be a factor; if your local DNS cache does not have it
>then it should go and resolve it externally thru recursion.  Are you
>putting www. in front - I found that it is required.

Currently, www.census.abs.gov.au resolves to 202.81.31.30, 62, 94 and
126 (round-robin on one sub-net?!), but times out on pings.  The DNS
entry is below.

Whereas census.abs.gov.au says 'Bad name, address or endpoint
(OTBadBameErr)'.  (I'm using Interarchy 8.1.1 at 16:50-55 UT+10).

Am I alone in being astonished that:
(a)  there's no duplicate name-server (on a separate sub-net, of course)
(b)  there's no name-server entry for the domain-name without 'www.'
(c)  all of the servers appear to be on the same sub-net, and hence
      the service is seriously fragile

I'm not a practitioner in this area, just someone who drifts in and
out from time to time, so I'll allow for the possibility that the
config is better than it looks ...

Domain Name:             abs.gov.au
Last Modified:           18-Jan-2006 02:46:52 UTC
Registrar ID:            R00118-AR
Registrar Name:          Finance

Registrant:              Australian Bureau of Statistics
Registrant ID:           OTHER n/a

Registrant ROID:         C3574382-AR
Registrant Contact Name: Duncan Anderson
Registrant Email:        domain.management at abs.gov.au

Tech ID:                 C3574383-AR
Tech Name:               Duncan Anderson
Tech Email:              domain.management at abs.gov.au

Name Server:             ns1.telstra.net
Name Server:             aurora.abs.gov.au
Name Server IP:          144.53.253.102

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong