[LINK] Identity theft virus infects 10,000 computers

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Aug 3 08:21:23 AEST 2006

Identity theft virus infects 10,000 computers
http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/virus-infects-10000-computers/
2006/08/02/1154198204613.html

> MORE than 10,000 Australian computers have been infected by a
> trojan virus - invisible to most anti-virus software - that is
> transmitting their owners' private details to identity thieves.
>
> The Australian Tax Office confirmed yesterday that 178 taxpayers
> had unwittingly revealed their tax file numbers while lodging tax
> returns online.
>
> These people had been notified and were being offered new tax file
> numbers, a spokesman said.

Another reason not to use a windows version of etax.

Here is what I sent the tax office in feedback about a month ago:

--
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant

In pre 9/11 US, you check out books at the library. In Bush's
America, the library checks out you!
                           -- with apologies to Yakov Smirnov