[LINK] Fwd: Census Config [Was: Personal comments on the eC

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Aug 3 16:03:04 AEST 2006

On 3/8/06 2:42 PM, "Roger Clarke" <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:
> Off-list, someone's told me IE may turn Java on even if it's turned off.
>
> Is that true??
>
> If so, it's a further, and very substantial reason never ever to use IE.
>
> Is it true that:
> (a)  MS is mucking around with your machine without your consent or
>       knowledge, and arguably over-riding your consent??  and
> (b)  MS is providing the capability for every web-site provider to
>       do anything on your machine that Java intentionally or
>       unintentionally enables it to do, again without your consent or
>       knowledge, and arguably over-riding your consent??

No, it's all WITH your consent.

You give your consent when you first install Windows (or run a pre-installed
Windows for the first time). From the handy link to the Windows XP Home
Edition and its gloss posted by Jan the other day:

    You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically
    check the version of the Software and/or its components
    that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades or fixes to
    the Software that will be automatically downloaded to your
    Workstation Computer.

You selected "I agree" so you gave your consent. Microsoft define what an
"upgrade" or a "fix" is, and therefore they can add any other functionality
they like without further reference to you. And functionality can certainly
include "the ability for a user to explicitly control feature X".

With your consent.

:)

Stil

--
Stilgherrian <stil at stilgherrian.com> http://www.stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia. ABN 25 231 641 421