[LINK] Personal comments on the eCensus form

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sat Aug 5 14:45:52 AEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:15:31PM +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Generally speaking a good experience - I'll give the ABS 8/10

so far, i'll give them 0/10.

in previous years, they gave months of advance notice that a census was
due. they'd send people around weeks or months in advance to verify
the number of people in a house, drop off forms, and pick them up
afterwards.

this time, i had no idea that there was a census about to happen until i
saw this thread a few days ago...and i didn't even have time to read it
until today. now it looks like there is not only a census imminent, but
that it's today/tonight. and i still haven't even had the census forms
delivered.

it's all well and good to use new technology for the census - probably
save them a huge bundle of money in the long run....but they shouldn't
do it at the expense of old, paper-based system. maybe in 50 years time
they can get rid of paper entirely, but certainly not now.

since it's a crime to fail to fill in the census form, i wonder if
"nobody informed me" or "i never received the form" will be considered a
reasonable defense.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)