[LINK] Access Card Taskforce Submissions

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Aug 7 08:44:59 AEST 2006

I had a message from the Access Card Consumer and Privacy Taskforce
asking if my submission could be published. This was odd, as I didn't
make a submission.

I did suggest the KPMG report on the card be made available in an
accessible format. What was provided was a bitmap image of the
report, which was difficult to read and search. It would also be
inaccessible to the disabled, which may be unlawful.

I didn't hear anything back from the Minister or Professor Fells
about this. It appears that rather than reading what I wrote and
acting on it, all the taskforce did was to file my message and make a
note to send me an acknowledgement.

But the task force wanted a submission, so I have sent them my
comments on the proposal <http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/smartcard/>.

ps: The taskforce also sent a media release, which I couldn't find on
the Human Services web site, so here it is appended. This says the
Task Force received "over 70 high quality submissions". As he didn't
act on it, I guess mine was one of those Professor Fells didn't think
was of high quality. ;-)

---
www.humanservices.gov.au
MEDIA RELEASE 3 August 2006
Quality submissions to guide development of access card

Professor Allan Fels, AO, today said that he was encouraged by the
response to the first discussion paper issued by the Access Card
Consumer and Privacy Task Force.

The Task Force has received over 70 high quality submissions,"
Professor Fels said. In addition, the Consumer and Privacy Task Force
has been on the road for two months, meeting with around 50 consumer
and privacy organisations to discuss in detail, their issues and
concerns. We've also spent some time with Government agencies to
understand their business in relation to the access card.

Consultation is happening at a very early stage in the development of
the access card system and our job is to make sure that the key
issues are identified and addressed." The Task Force is currently
considering the issues raised in the submissions and consultations,
and is developing independent advice to the Minister for Human
Services. Professor Fels said it was important that Australians
understand the issues under consideration and that he would make
submissions publicly available with the permission of their authors.
The consultation process is not over," Professor Fels said.

Individuals and organisations can provide input at any time by
emailing me direct or by posting written submissions to the Task
Force. My initial advice to the government will focus on the high
level architecture of the card. We expect our input to influence the
design and development of the access card system. The Task Force will
then turn its attention to the process of registration. I expect to
issue a second discussion paper for public comment on these matters
towards the end of this year."

Submissions to the Access Card Consumer and Privacy Task Force can be
emailed to a.fels at humanservices.gov.au or posted to the Task Force at
PO Box 3959, Manuka, ACT, 2603.

---

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd           ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au               PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617