Mac OS Back-Compatibility [Was Re: [LINK] Microsoft]

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Mon Aug 7 15:28:22 AEST 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Antony Barry wrote:

> On 07/08/2006, at 1:01 PM, Roger Clarke wrote:
>
> > I've seen that twice in the last three days, plus one freeze.
>
> Sounds like something is BADLY wrong. Try reinstalling the OS and
> getting a guru to look at the logs.

But not in that order!

Actually, if Roger has Diskwarrior, he should try and run that first,
booting from CD.   That will identifiy any short reads or HFS problems
on the disk as these can sometimes cause a panic when the region on the
disk is read.   There should also be some utilities on the boot CD
to do a hardware check.

Also, the best logs are the /var/log/system.log and the "dmesg" command
will dump out the most recent errors.

I also mentioned Tiger Cache Cleaner, which I run every few months
to clean up old logs and repair permissions and so on....

http://www.northernsoftworks.com/tigercachecleaner.html

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html