[LINK] Telstra - taking its ball and going home.

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Aug 10 09:20:00 AEST 2006

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 05:38 PM 9/08/2006, Frank O'Connor wrote:
>
>> and unless Sol really pulls a rabbit out of the hat tomorrow ... are
>> bereft of ideas, plans and strategies for the future.
>

> Out of curiosity I googled Sol and hit gold -- almost literally! You
> know that story the other day about his golden handshake bonus with
> USWest when he left the company - something like $75mil. Have a read of
> this from 2000 for when the merger was happening  with Qwest, if he
> agreed to stay until 2004:
...this story was in Weekend Australian...

...let's bear in mind the corporate governance model for Telstra

Collection of Directors appointed by the major shareholder..the current
government. These "guys" appoint Sol on the basis of whatever future
they see for Telstra. Now some may question the credentials and
interests of these directors....lead by
Donald McGauchie.

<http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/corp/executives.cfm>

Frank, I read your email, we can go into the whole thing about letting
infrastructure go to the dogs ....my own bit over the years, which has
been ignored is to tell the council not to let Telstra put cable in my
street but to support wireless, they wrote back and said I would be
pleased to hear that Telstra was going to bury cable in my street! They
may be pleased about the revenue stream but I was not!

Then Telstra wrote and said they were offering free connection to the
residential building, and low I discussed this with other owners and we
were in agreement there was no benefit. Then Telstra wrote to the body
corporate (aforementioned owners) telling us that our stupid owners were
going to miss a fabulous opportunity.

I continually get offers from Optus (via call centres in India and door
to door salesman) offering to cut the service fee...however, I point out
I would rather deal with the infrastructure provider directly. When my
copper fails - Telstra will have to fix it.

I note that telstra is pushing wireless but as I understand it this is
CDMA based. Now that in itself is quite a good idea for the country
areas as it provides both phone and data coverage.

Marghanita
---
Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications