[LINK] Is it unethical to infringe a patent?

Deus Ex Machina vicc at cia.com.au
Fri Aug 18 10:36:36 AEST 2006

Craig Sanders [cas at taz.net.au] wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 07:59:11PM +1000, Deus Ex Machina wrote:
> > > if there is any theft going on in the patent world, it is entirely
> > > on the part of the thieving scumbags who are attempting to convert
> > > short-term limited monopoly rights into actual property. that conversion
> > > is theft.
> >
> > from whom? there cant be theft without an owner.
>
> from everyone.

nothing is owned by everyone. even if it is owned by everyone then the theft
still cant happen since they are already an owner.

I am not aware of any title anywhere, that grants everyone ownership of anything.

> ideas can't be owned.

of couse they can. ownership is a sociatel and legal agreement between
people, nothing less, nothing more. there is no ownership in-itself that
anybody can discover. you cant put ownership under a microscope. some alien couldnt come
from a distant galaxy and discover it, other then seeing the behavior of sentient being
in relation to that thing being owned. ownership is at its core behavior.

the ownership of ideas doesnt preclude others thinking them, but it
does preclude others from making economic use of them.

> patents are not ownership of an idea, they are a
> government grant of (limited and short-term) monopoly rights.

all property is government grant of rights. stop paying your rates and
you will find out who trully owns your land.

Vic