[LINK] What's a reasonable level of code-checking?

Rick Welykochy pirkeepie at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 19 17:44:35 AEST 2006

--- "Darryl (Dassa) Lynch" <dassa at dhs.org> wrote:

> The more protocols available, the less secure.  To be really secure, each
> protocol would also be locked down to specific destinations.  A stateful
> firewall which would also inspect the packets for known issues would also be
> required to cut down on spoofing and middle man attacks.  Still not totally
> secure but starting to get there.  The only really secure way is to have
> direct connections to the destination without devices belonging to others
> anywhere in the link.
>
> We compromise with security and cost.

That we do.

I am an IPv6 agnostic (well, I believe IPv6 exists, but know little about the
protocol). Can any Linkers fill me in here? I'm wondering if the new version
of IP will provide more security, and how. I understand that encryption
is built into the protocol. How about higher level things like authentication
and/or authorisation? Or is that simply asking too much of the IP layer?

What I am fishing for is a mini-panacea for our current TCP/IP woes ;)
Or does such a thing not exist due to the nature of "consumers" who, as we
know, are easily socially engineered into making online blunders -- something
technology can hardly save them from.

cheers
rickw