[LINK] Thinking about security

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Aug 19 22:15:34 AEST 2006

At 10:01 PM 19/08/2006, Darryl (Dassa) Lynch wrote:
>  It may be beneficial to the end user to be fully aware of
>all the implications and to make their own choices.
>
>Are we being arrogant in assuming we know best?

I'll extend this question, if you don't mind, Dassa. I'm on a panel for the
ENUM trials and raised this question. They are requiring that registrants
for enum service provide identity authentication via a stat dec of copies
of documents the same as those required for prepaid mobiles. My concern is
that the registrars will then be handed highly authentic user identity
information in paper form accompanied by the witnessed stat dec. Are
agencies that normally work with electronic data security sufficiently up
to the task of securing paper documents any more?

If doctors who live in an ethos of confidentiality can't even dispose of
their patient records properly consistently, then why would I trust a
faceless telecommunications company with my documents and sending them
through the post as well?  What do linkers think about this? Am I being too
paranoid?

and do you think the person in the street would go to the trouble of
getting a stat dec of this information in order to get enum capabilities?

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005