[LINK] some linkers on e-democracy

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Aug 21 08:32:53 AEST 2006

At 05:33 PM 8/16/2006, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>From: Fwd: APO Weekly Briefing 16 August 2006
>
>>... How have those involved in the political process, including
>>government, political parties, MPs and civil society groups used
>>new technology ask Peter Chen, Rachel Gibson and Karin Geiselhart. ...
>>http://www.apo.org.au/linkboard/results.chtml?filename_num=94562 ...

They give On Line Opinion a good review:

"On Line Opinion is probably the best Australian example of a well
planned (and increasingly successful) effort to provide a wide range
of views and encourage deliberation. It is deliberately non-partisan
and maintains not-for-profit status. These features, along with
software that facilitates blogging and disccussion, attract
sponsorships and diversity. It provides an important channel for
intelligent articles from individuals who do not frequently gain
access to mainstream media channels."

It has been an interesting process seeing how OO can use the
technology <http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/>. A recent problem has
been that my entries on the OO Blog  attracted junk postings.

ps: Rachel has finished up at the ANU's Centre for Social Research
<http://acsr.anu.edu.au/>, is now at Leicester University
<http://www.le.ac.uk/mc/staff/rkg10.html> working on e-politics.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Director, ACS Communications Tech Board   http://www.acs.org.au/ctb/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml