[LINK] Fab online maps of Victoria

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Aug 21 10:22:05 AEST 2006

At 10:06 AM 21/08/2006, Robin Whittle wrote:
>To contrast with the gripes about websites, here is an example of one
>which I think is really well done - except the URLs, which are too long
>to reproduce here . . .
>
>   http://www.dse.vic.gov.au
>   DSE Home > Forests > Information & Research > Maps & Facts

But wait, there's more!  Just announced this morning is a new
publication/e-publication combo called the Melbourne Atlas.
go to: www.dse.vic.gov.au/melbourneatlas and the address will convert to
the machine one for you. They have put the print document up electronically
broken into categories and usable chunks for manageable file sizes.

As for the functionality of the forest maps, this same idea of recentering,
dragging the map, and zooming have been used in the street-directory.com
maps of Melbourne as well. Very helpful functions when you're looking for
the major roads to get to the region, then the local streets to get the
fine detail. Google maps I believe use the layering of graphic map and
satellite image, which is also very cool!

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005