[LINK] Qantas bans Dell laptop batteries

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Aug 24 18:28:15 AEST 2006

Actually I'm more inclined to think it's not the physical cells used in the
packs, but the circuitry within the battery pack failing.  A lot of "cheap"
grade products have thermal snapping sensors to shut off charging when the
battery gets HOT.  A Hot battery is not a guarantee of a charged battery
and worse, if the thermal sensor carbonizes, which they do ....

And even if it's not a snapping thermal sensor, even the little ceramic
ones can fail badly if they get excessively hot too often and batteries go
get warm to touch when charged for long periods of time.

Without knowing the circuitry and how they have decided to charge, trickle
and switch, I can't say much more.  I only know Powerbook, and some HP
batteries.  The early compaqs were really bad news!  Toshiba's are all
really good and IBMS are in my view are good too.