[LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Reagan Blundell reagan at whatever.net.au
Tue Aug 29 03:09:11 AEST 2006

Geoff Ramadan wrote:
> I have just spoken to a Solution Provider that provides tracking
> solutions for bins.
>
> The general experience from overseas is that solutions based on weight
> DON'T work.
>
> All it does is encourage home owners to remove or damage the RFID
> chip, or dispose of garbage by some other means.

Best let the UK Local Government Association know - seems they have
plans to RFID enable bins to enable them to track household rubbish
weight with a view to charging on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5291222.stm

Three local councils are about to start a pilot scheme - with it rolling
out around the country within 2 years should the trials prove successful.