[LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Aug 29 09:56:34 AEST 2006

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 09:20 +1000, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>
>>>The best way to tackle waste, however, is one that few places if any
>>>have had the courage to implement, namely a requirement on manufacturers
>>>to take absolute responsibility for their products and packaging.
>>
>>What can I say....AGREED AGREED AGREED!
>>
>>All they have to do is issue garbage bags with RFIDs...then it will be
>>easy to track the source of the contamination....
>

> No, that's an insanely complicated solution, imposing costs across the
> entire system for the sake of a few scofflaws. It requires a huge
> database to keep track of what bags went to which people. It is brittle
> in the face of defective bags, and people exchanging, stealing or
> damaging bags.
>
> Far better to have a relatively small group of people with the simple
> task of following through on people who abuse the system, because the
> fact is that the vast majority will not.

OK, I agree with you scrap the IT system, but then where are all those
Domestic Waste Charges going to go? Perhaps on big trucks that can't go
down the little lanes anyway.

My understanding is that the rates in NSW are regulated and arbitrated
by a tribunal. I could check but would hazard a guess that the Domestic
Waste has steadily gone up over the years.

If people think this is trivial...we are paying 4x$291 for the removal
of 1 partly filled 240l garbage bin each week and a 1x120l blue and
yellow recycle bin on alternate weeks.

It makes me seriously consider organising my own personalised valet service.

Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: 0414-869202