[LINK] FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool

Robin Stephens robinstephens at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:27:33 AEDT 2006

On 02/12/06, Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
> Sounds like it's high time for an open source mobile phone
> software system. I'm sure Linux would make a great embedded O/S
> on a phone. It'll even run Java ... but then again, that's what
> we don't want to see anymore of.

Like this one?

" This is the first phone in a long time to get us really interested
in what it is, what it isn't, and the philosophy behind it. The
philosophy is the thing that makes Linux great, and not in the sense
of window-dressing or half-hearted openness, it is really open. It
runs the latest kernel, 2.6.18 as of a few weeks ago, and you can get
software from a repository with apt-get.

The OpenMoko is meant to be a fully mobile Linux machine that happens
to look like a phone. The point is simple, where others have a Linux
kernel with a locked proprietary stack on top of it, this one is open,
top to bottom. You can use your own tools on it, compile your own
kernel. and bang on the bare metal if you are into that sort of thing.
Everything barring a few small drivers is GPL'ed."

Robin