[LINK] Re: to USB

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Fri Dec 8 09:42:46 AEDT 2006

On 06/12/2006, at 1:48 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

> Chain line printers, a variant on disk line printers: Each character
.
.
> Compile errors in my COBOL were followed by a line of asterisks in the
> printout. You didn't have to look at the printout to know if you had
> errors, you could hear the "whump" from across the room.

My first IT job was as a Computer Operator for Dept. Health.  We had
an IBM 3211 band printer which had removable print train which was a
thin band of metal with the characters embossed on the front that
spun at high speed.  There was an individual hammer for every
character position across the page which was basically the size of an
A3 page and it would spit out 2000 lines per minute.  It was used to
print reports on 3-part paper, ie 3 sheets of paper sandwiched with
carbon paper.  There is no other way to describe it, but it "sang".
When it was in full flight we could monitor it by ear from two rooms
away.

Carl.
(When double-checking the print speed I found http://www-03.ibm.com/
ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PR370.html which has prices
in US$ for an IBM370 mainframe with a massive 1MB RAM in 1970. :)