[LINK] Australian government open access policy for research publishing?

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Dec 18 17:48:42 AEDT 2006

At 10:50 AM 12/18/2006, Roger Clarke wrote:
>At 9:51 +1100 18/12/06, Tom Worthington wrote:
>>ps: The endorsement of Professor Sale's proposal by the ACS set
>>some sort of record. ...
>
>... I didn't have ACS's Digital Library in mind (because Tom's only
>invented that subsequently). ...

I made up the name "ACS Digital Library" for an ANU assignment in
August, by analogy to the ACM and IEEE digital libraries:
<http://cs.anu.edu.au/student/comp3410/assignment1.html>.

But the idea goes back to my response to Evan Arthur's thought
experiment in 2004 <http://www.tomw.net.au/2005/dm/masticate.html>.
My suggestion was that university repositories could automatically
harvest open access papers by their authors directly from the
publisher's system, or via the National Library of Australia. This
would save each university having to laboriously enter the details of
each paper.

It would also boost the status of Australian researchers by
encouraging new publishing, rather than going cap in hand to overseas
publishers begging for copies of papers which they had given away the
copyright to. It would also improve the balance of payments as we
would not have to pay to import copies of those publications.

This followed an overview of e-publishing options for ACS I presented
to the ANU students in 2001
<http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/ecommerce/publishing.shtml>.
That in turn was based on the discussions on publishing I had at a
meeting with other leaders of the world's IT societies in 1996
<http://www.acs.org.au/president/1996/epubs/>.

>... I was actually thinking of the many well-established
>disciplinary and domain-based collections.  (The university
>repositories, excellent idea though they are, actually appear to be
>the slowest growing).

The current crop of university repositories do not make a lot of
sense to me. There is little incentive for authors for registering
material in the university repository: they do not get paid extra,
nor any more kudos, as that material has already been published. So
it is not surprising that university repositories are not growing fast.

It would make more sense for the universities (and government) to
invest in open access publications. The author has an incentive to
enter the data into the system, because they get a publication
credited to them. The university can automatically harvest the
details from the publisher's system. In the long run it might even be
cheaper to create new e-publications, than enter the details from
existing publications.

Of course the few high status authors in Australia who can easily get
their material easily published by prestigious international
publishers will not like this. But perhaps they can be persuaded by
being offered positions on the boards of the new e-publications.

This might also make university presses viable, as the publishers of
this academic material. As it is university presses are stuck in a
twilight world of being neither commercially viable nor academically
respectable. Instead they could publish journals (which are
academically respectable) and conference proceedings (which are profitable).

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml