[LINK] e-Stores in French, German and Japanese

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Dec 22 20:26:36 AEDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 12:42 +1100, Tom Worthington wrote:
> Amazon has a facility for setting up your own "store" to sell their
> [...]I set [one] up with the German
> <http://astore.amazon.de/tomcomptyltd-21>
> [...]

It may be the Amazon interface, but this site is the most opaque, boring
and pointless site I have ever seen, and I've seen a few. The formatting
of items is so poor that it renders the whole thing almost unreadable.

For reasons known only to Amazon, there are two shopping cart links side
by side. The whole thing is text except for some pointless framing. It
is entirely unclear what will happen if you click on stuff. It is only
implicit that the site is actually selling stuff - the presence of the
shopping card (text) link and the prices give it away, but it is a Monty
Python shop; you really don't get the feeling anyone really wants to
sell you anything.

The German on the site is OK, but only because there are only products,
no product descriptions or text longer than a few words.

Of the eighteen products apparently for sale, only two (yes, TWO) are
actually for sale; if you click on the others you get taken to a whole
new page to be told they "not on offer", and you can click through to
Amazon if you want to.

The automatically translated site you get if you click on the TomW link
is appalling.

Should I go on?

Regards, K.