[LINK] Financial Literacy, Banking and Identity Conference

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jul 11 18:10:22 AEST 2006

In the car today, I heard a report of several people being charged with
fraud and 3 being deported.....

..the report mentioned the defrauding of banks, forgery of medicare
cards, identity theft and face recognition...

From:
<http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/recent_media_unit_information?sq_content_src=aHR0cDovL2N1c3RvbXNjcmlwdHMucG9saWNlLm5zdy5nb3YuYXUvbmV3cy9kZXRhaWxzX21lZGlhLnBocD9NZWRpYUlEPTcwNDI%3D>

> One of Australia’s largest identity crime syndicates dismantled

>  A multi-agency Australian task force has dismantled one of the country’s largest identity crime syndicates following a six-month operation in NSW.
>
> Over the past two months, Identity Crime Task Force (ICTF) investigators from five Federal and State law enforcement agencies have arrested 13 people.
>
> As part of ‘Operation Hickey’, police have laid 230 charges against nine men and one woman, aged between 20 and 41 years.
>
> Two other men arrested during the operation were later deported to Malaysia, while another man was released pending further inquiries.
>
> Operation Hickey was set up in January this year to investigate the manufacture of high quality counterfeit documents, including Medicare cards, passports, bank cards and driver’s licences.
>
> The total cost of the fraud is yet to be determined, but it is estimated to run into millions of dollars.
>
> It has been alleged that people within the syndicate assumed the identity of individuals and companies as well as created false identities which were allegedly used to obtain money from a number of financial institutions.
>
> The Identity Crime Task Force comprises investigators from Australian Federal Police, NSW Police, the Australian Crime Commission, NSW Crime Commission and Australian Customs Service.
>
> The ICTF is hosted by the Australian Federal Police at the AFP Sydney Headquarters.
>
> Note: A display of the falsified documents will be available at a press conference being held at 2pm, TODAY, at the AFP Sydney Headquarters, 110 Goulburn St, Sydney, NSW.

Marghanita