[LINK] Guidelines for Digital Repositories, Canberra, 27 July

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jul 21 11:24:13 AEST 2006

Kim Holburn wrote:

> On 2006 Jul 21, at 10:11 AM, Gordon Keith wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:49, Tom Worthington wrote:
>>
>>> Although there is a lot of discussion and documentation, worldwide,
>>> on the issues surrounding the sustainability of digital material,
>>

>> Related to this topic, does anyone know if any guidelines exist in
>> terms of
>> codecs suitable for archival of video data?
>

> As I understand it in general, digital archiving usually involves
> uncompressed data with all the bits present.  While you might include
> compressed versions the base data is uncompressed.
<snip>
I'd agree that keeping the uncompressed source material is a good idea
and this is probably still OK for video. Though some cameras seem to be
coming out with record to DVD (MPEG2 - royalties via license to
manufacturers) rather than
raw DV to tape.

Can you take an uncompressed digital photograph?

The Film and Sound Archive in Canberra was looking into the archiving of
video footage - mainly to preserve the images they already have on media
that is deteriorating(spelling?).  This was proably about 10years
ago...anyone know where they are at?

On video compression formats, I am playing with MPEG4 (royalty issue
cloudy) and Theora (open source and format).

and giving a talk on this next Thursday to the ACS NSW FOSS SIG free and
all welcome but you probably should register
<http://www.acs.org.au/nsw/index.cfm?action=event&temID=eventdetails&eveID=1553>,

It would be good to debate the issue of video formats.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications