[LINK] Electric vehicles and generation

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sun Jul 23 17:14:36 AEST 2006

On 23/07/2006, at 4:40 PM, Greg Taylor wrote:

> No, biofuels recycle CO2 and are effectively carbon neutral.   If
> the biomass is produced sustainably, carbon dioxide is removed from
> the atmosphere during photosynthesis and stored in plant
> structures. When the biomass is burned, the carbon released back to
> the atmosphere will be recycled into the next generation of growing
> plants.

BUT

  we use -
	diesel or petrol to run the plows and harvesters

	natural gas to make the fertilsers

	oil to make the pesticides

	diesel or petrol to transport the crop to the processing facility
and to transport the biofuel to the service station

	Heat which might be derived from fossil fuels for the processing.

Until we can do the whole cycle with biofuels it's not completely
carbon neutral.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au