[LINK] And then more ... live.com

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Jul 24 16:55:37 AEST 2006

Geees, in trying to sort out my Belkin print server "suddenly not working"
problem, I was looking at the Windows Firewall logs (hey only cause I don't
really need it!) and saw this IP address.

248.179.54.65.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN     PTR     login.live.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
54.65.in-addr.arpa.     86400   IN      NS      NS3.MSFT.NET.
54.65.in-addr.arpa.     86400   IN      NS      NS4.MSFT.NET.

So I'm thinking, why is my MSN (using Trillian BTW not MS's software)
dropping  out all the time.  And there in Ethereal are these port 443
(Secure Web) packets.

Now this is odd, so I hit www.live.com and wow!

It's a Microsoft Web Site.  (Being blocked by the MS firewall too no less!)

What is Windows Live?
Your online world gets better when everything works simply and effortlessly
together. That's the basic idea behind Windows Live™. So the things you
care about­your friends, the latest information, your e-mails, powerful
search, your PC files, everything­come together in one place. This is a
brand new Internet experience designed to put you in control. And this is
just the beginning­you'll see many more new services in the coming months.

Anyway you can hunt down any more you want to, in the mean time I have to
find a way to keep my Trillian connected to MSN without going dark every
time live.com doesn't talk.  And more important, find out what is
triggering the request in the first place!

I'm just finding my computer is less and less my own every day now.