[LINK] Electric vehicles and generation

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jul 25 08:36:29 AEST 2006

At 07:48 AM 7/22/2006, rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:
>Wired got all excited about a battery powered car:
>http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html?tw=rss.index ...

Unlike the Wired fantasy, I saw a real battery
powered car in an Indian village
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2006/01/indian-electric-car.html>.
These are produced in Bangalore and look like
something Noddy would drive. But the company has
sporty looking show model running Linux
<http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/transport/reva.shtml>.

A friend of a friend put an electric motor in a
used Toyota Echo and got it registered in
Brisbane. I have suggested that cluster housing
could have solar panels to recharge such cars in
a computer scheduled car rental pool
<http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/sa/epod.shtml#pooling>.

Most of the major car companies have a little car
in their range which could be retrofitted with an
electric engine and batteries in this way. For
example the Toyota
Aygo/<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_107>Peugeot
107/<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_C1>Citroën
C1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Aygo>.

This would be smarter than a Smart Car, barring
conspiracies  <http://www.tomw.net.au/travel/davincicode.shtml#smartcar>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Director, ACS Communications Tech Board   http://www.acs.org.au/ctb/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml