GPLv3 - Update was: Re: [LINK] the slow motion gpl trainwreck

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 25 14:48:52 AEST 2006

Deus Ex Machina wrote:
> http://weblog.ipcentral.info/archives/2006/07/gplv3_update.html
>
> "The revision will be designed to make GPLv3 incompatible with DRM, to
> discourage patenting, to extend the viral application of the GPL as it
> applies to programs that interact with GPL'ed code, and to allow
> individual programmers to require sharing of code added on to GPLed
> programs by ASPs (e.g., Google). "

the title when I looked at it was "GPLv3 - Update"

He also says:

I do not see how the commercial part of the open source community can live with these changes, given the extraordinary importance of the GPL, especially to Linux. The hostility to DRM will be anathema to the content creators, and the ASPs should react badly to any risk of being required to reveal their crown jewel secrets.

But I suspect that he doesn't understand how the commercial part of the open source community can live with GPL v2. However, they seem to - in spades.  I suggest the answer lies in the fact that the GPL promotes a customer's property in the software (and content) they buy, and in the end, it is all about money, the customer's money.  A free software market will trump a monopoly software market.  It is only a question of time.

Brendan