[LINK] Electric vehicles and generation

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 25 18:47:05 AEST 2006

Glen Turner wrote:

> Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> A friend of a friend put an electric motor in a used Toyota Echo and
>> got it registered in Brisbane. I have suggested that cluster housing
>> could have solar panels to recharge such cars in a computer scheduled
>> car rental pool <http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/sa/epod.shtml#pooling>.
>

> That might not work as well as you hope.  You'd need two cars
> to avoid yet another set of batteries, assuming the car is
> driven when the sun is shining.
>
> Solar cells are about $2 per watt in capital cost.  I think Tony
> calculated the car requires 15kW to charge. So a handwaving
> $30,000. Hmmm.

At retail, $9 per watt. Example:
http://www.solaronline.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107143921

Let's look at it this way. The Tesla car seems to have around 15kWh of
storage, so:
1 x 175W panel needs 85 hours to charge the car (from empty).
To charge one car in about 4 hours = about 22 x 175W panels; cost at
retail $32,780.

RC