GPLv3 - Update was: Re: [LINK] the slow motion gpl trainwreck

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 28 10:21:26 AEST 2006

Deus Ex Machina wrote:
> I am not sure how any of your response addresses the point that on a commercial basis,
> giving away software to drive other sales works in a domestic market.
>
> given the constant bleeting about the revenue forgone in giving away software can be made
> up by support, I dont see a single example of that in the gaming market
> or any other domestic software market for that matter.

> perhaps you can give us some example of commercially sucessful projects
> that make up lost revenue from giving away software, with support or some other service
> in a domestic context?

Oh, and just FYI:

Ballmer: Software is becoming a service
http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6099198.html?tag=nefd.top

"Software is becoming a service," Ballmer said at the company's financial analyst meeting being held here. "Embracing advertising and subscription-based models and Internet-based delivery across Microsoft's product line is an important part of what we will do."