[LINK] Academics branded 'anti-US over FTA research'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Jul 30 11:41:16 AEST 2006

At 10:26 +1000 30/7/06, Howard Lowndes wrote:
>http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1700428.htm

This arises from an Opinion Piece by Ian Chubb in The Canberra Times
of Saturday 29 July.  It was excellent (but a bit long for me to type
in).

I can't see it yet on The Canberra Times site:
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/display.asp?class=Your%20say&subclass=General&category=Opinion

And there's no sign of it here yet
http://info.anu.edu.au/mac/Media/Media_Releases/index.asp

It's unclear which ANU academics the critics would have had in mind.
The economists that I heard give evidence were
pro-US/anti-Australian;  but the Law Faculty's Matt Rimmer and myself
were blunt about the huge amount of harm that the provisions of the
US-dictated IP Chapter would do to Australia.

My submissions are at:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/FTA17-JSCT-040413.html
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/FTA17-SSCFTA-040430.html
and
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/FTA17-JSCT-Submns.html

Matt's submission is at:
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/jsct/usafta/subs/SUB027.pdf
See also:
Rimmer, M.  "Robbery Under Arms:  Copyright Law and the
Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement", First Monday, March
2006, Vol. 11 (3), URL:
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_3/rimmer/index.html, SSRN: