[LINK] Military cipher broken

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Thu May 18 10:59:08 EST 2006

> So Hinch managed to break a military cipher?   The Australian Army
 > does use encryption on confidential documents don't they?

You'd expect such a document to be classified RESTRICTED (available
to those that need to know) and AUSTEO (Australian Eyes Only, since
we're going to say nasty things about our allies' procedures).

The requirement is to keep such documents securely.  Such as
in a locked briefcase. That is, not to be reading them in a
public place like an airport, let alone leaving them there.

There's no requirement for encryption of such documents as
it is counter-productive.  It makes it too easy for the
enemy to obtain a cypher machine.

--
  Glen Turner         Tel: (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
  Australia's Academic & Research Network  www.aarnet.edu.au