[LINK] Code highlights e-passport eavesdropping risk

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Wed Nov 1 23:48:42 AEDT 2006

At 09:23 PM 1/11/2006, Irene Graham wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:35:45 +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > If the passport can be read from say 10 or 20 metres away and the data
> > stored ....
>
>Physics. Apart from that so you've got a key to unlock a particular
>passport chip. How are you going to communicate with the particular
>passport chip, which emits a random UID, from 10 or 20 metres away?

6 meters works okish :)

As to reading "many" emissions.  I can't say I've tried that.  I'm guessing
you might look for the strongest clearest stream and store that for later
processing.  You might miss a few passports here and there, but you might
also upon beacon broadcasts, collect 5-10 per second?