[LINK] Transparent Proxy Server and Privacy

Tech Support tech at bennymid.com
Tue Nov 7 07:56:26 AEDT 2006

A number of ISP's run transparent proxy servers .

One ISP that I know of recently has introduced a transparent proxy server
where previously one of the selling points of the ISP was NO proxy server
and that is the condition that many users signed up to the ISP on.

The users have not been notified about the proxy server and the implications
( both good and bad ).

Considering the information that can be gleaned from the proxy logs
regarding any persons browsing habits is the introduction of said proxy

a ) Legal ( considering that users have not been told about its
introduction ) ?

b) Breaking any laws with respect to privacy of the user's web browsing
habits ?

c) What are the legal requirements ( regarding privacy of users) of the ISP
especially with the generated logs ?

I have an opinion on the matter however opinion does not equal law so
therefore I am asking far more experienced persons than myself .

Regards

Benny