[LINK] Skype beta3, free worldwide conference calls

Alan L Tyree alan at austlii.edu.au
Fri Nov 10 13:59:05 AEDT 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:35:58 +1100
Ivan Trundle <ivan at itrundle.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/2006, at 1:06 PM, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> <snip>
> >

> >> I've used others (none of which appear to work very well in the Mac
> >> OS environment, though I did like Gizmo - was an early adopter),
> >> but it's hard to convince everyone else to use the same product.
> >> Skype simply has more traction, and traction wins. Personally,
> >> iChat beats them all, hands-down - but what's the point when it
> >> only talks to a select few?
> >
> > I seriously doubt if it has more "traction". It is obviously the
> > largest single provider, but my understanding is that there are far
> > more SIP users than Skype users.
> >
> > Re the Mac: when I used the Mac software I ran an Asterisk server.
> > Almost anything connects well to Asterisk and then Asterisk
> > connects to
> > almost anything in the outside world. Except Skype. It's worth
> > having a
> > look if you insist on staying with the Mac software.
>
> Pardon??? I don't insist on anything. And I'm not sure what you're
> implying here.

Sorry, all I meant was that if you intend to stay with Mac OSX. I
certainly didn't mean any offence.

> Nonetheless: if all of those people I want to call and stay in touch
> with use Skype, I have little alternative. This is the 'traction'
> that I refer to.
>
> You may judge SIP to have more users, but this is irrelevant to me.
> There's little point in having a Posidrive #2 in your hand when all
> of the screws are flatheads...

I won't argue with this. I have managed to convince my contacts to
switch to SIP, so I guess I'm happy with the Pisidrive #2 :-).

> iT

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662