[LINK] America's Internet Disconnect

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Nov 10 15:29:37 AEDT 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006, Danny Yee wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > I also think there's a bit of exagguration going on wrt modem vs fttn
> > stuff.  If you've obtained a fiber connection and you're getting
> > 64kbps then you should change carrier.
>
> And anyone in the US getting better than 56kbps is NOT on "dialup
> modem", whatever they may say or think (barring some kind of very
> unusual multi-link setup).

Well, anyone getting 56kbytes/sec on a US modem isn't on a dialup
modem. IIRC (and this is pulling data out of long-since-unused neural
paths) the copper quality was more variable, denser and a thinner gauge
coupled with differing communications guidelines meant the max throughput
was a few kbits/sec less than what was frequently achievable in
Australia.

(Or, heh, their terminal program was lying to them.)

But thats mostly anecdotal from back when I was doing dialup stuff.

Adrian