[LINK] America's Internet Disconnect

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Fri Nov 10 16:14:59 AEDT 2006

Adrian wrote:

> It depends where you're downloading from. Well, ok, it
> depends on the ISP -
> but the speed of light starts playing a part in perceived
> speed after a
> few thou miles.

> So using US sites as a measuring stick is always going to be
> the problem.

Thanks Adrian, that helps to put things in perspective. I guess my perception that I was getting a worse service was based more on the location of the servers and our distance from them than anything else. I had an impression that the speeds were similarly slower when I download from Australian mirrors, but perhaps not. I feel a little better.

Fred