[LINK] 1.6m computers into landfill, 1.8 into storage

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sat Nov 11 11:11:59 AEDT 2006

At 10:28 AM 11/11/2006, Stilgherrian wrote:
>Says the ABS:
>
>     It has been estimated that in Australia, in 2006, there will be
>     around 1.6 million computers disposed of in landfill, another
>     1.8 million in storage (in addition to the 5.3 million already
>     gathering dust in garages and other storage areas) and half a
>     million recycled, according to the "Advancing Australia" report
>     from the Department of Communications, Information Technology
>     and the Arts.

Yup, I've got about 30 complete in my garage all heading to landfill in the
next week or two.  I've got about 400 motherboards from XT to Pentiums that
are all going as well (does that count as 400?)

I got a lot of other stuff I'm tossing too.  Hundreds of network cards,
hubs, cables (AUI, ether, phone, multipair) dozens of monitors.  I tossed
30 monitors last council cleanup.

<sigh>