[LINK] Eudora email moves to open source

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Nov 14 12:32:32 AEDT 2006

On 2006/Nov/14, at 12:04 PM, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> However, those that I know have dropped Eudora haven't once
> complained about anything lacking in Mail.

Hmmmm.  I used Eudora for years and there's one thing it had that I
really liked, used all the time and that no other email client
does.   Eudora had an option that when a rule moved an email into a
mailbox it would open the mailbox in a window.  It's a simple thing
but I found very useful.  I need rules/filters but I hate mail
clients which shuffle all the mail around but then you don't realise
what email you have.  Using the "read" flag doesn't work for me.
Apple Mail now does a similar enough thing for me using a fudge (a
smart folder) (Thunderbird 2 has a similar fudge).  The other nice
thing Eudora did was being able to edit a received email.

On the other hand things I don't miss are: Eudora decodes attachments
and puts them in an attachment folder then *changes* the email so the
attachment is no longer in the email.  Also Eudora was a good POP
client but a crappy IMAP client.

Apple Mail: searching is still buggy, If you have junk mail filtering
on then Apple Mail is a crappy IMAP client - it has to download every
piece of mail and keep them synchronised with the client - doesn't
scale.  Apple Mail wraps text at 75 characters, and it's not
configurable - it even wraps URLs and adds a space!!  And of course
the date problem.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant