[LINK] Victoria the first to cast e-vote in a state election

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 14 15:19:32 AEDT 2006

brd at iimetro.com.au wrote:
> Quoting Brendan Scott <brendansweb at optusnet.com.au>:
>
>> Is there some reason why can't they get a braille printer and print
>> out a completed ballot (for the voter to confirm before submitting
>> it)?  Or have a certain number of braille ballots available to be
>> filled in at the booth?
>
> The issue was not so much voting, but voting in secret. Having to tell a
> sighted
> person how they wanted to vote (as well as potentially being overheard
> but even
> more people) was seen (ha!) as embarrassing.

Yes, but...

I don't see why this couldn't be achieved with a braille ballot.  Maybe I don't understand how it all works in practice, but it seems like it's an excuse to impose a specific (technology) solution.

I don't understand why blind people's ballots should be subject to fewer safeguards than everyone else's.