[LINK] Re: blind faith in electronic voting

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Nov 15 13:45:27 AEDT 2006

At 12:08 PM 15/11/2006, Howard Lowndes wrote:
>results, and in the stupid Senate paper that major additional
>expense is incurred.  As you would not be able to reduce the number
>of poll clerks with e-voting, assuming that polling places continue
>to exist similar to now, then I don't see much opportunity for cost
>savings by e-voting.  Any notion of removing polling places I cannot
>see happening in my (remaining) lifetime.

In the US race in Virginia that was the last close one to determine a
winner (some House seats are still to be finalised), there were
comments that the recount would take weeks! I was dumbfounded because
initial results came in from the precincts of the original vote and
were finished within a couple hours. Why in the world would a recount
take so long? No excuse of preferences, either. Maybe it was the
absentees that had to come in?

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005