[LINK] wireless power

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Nov 16 10:22:14 AEDT 2006

At 06:24 PM 15/11/2006, Eric Scheid wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6129460.stm
>
> > And because we're physicists we asked, 'what kind of physical
> phenomenon can
> > we use to do this wireless energy transfer?'." The answer the team came up
> > with was "resonance", a phenomenon that causes an object to vibrate when
> > energy of a certain frequency is applied.
> >
> > Instead of using acoustic vibrations, the team's system exploits the
> resonance
> > of electromagnetic waves. Electromagnetic radiation includes radio waves,
> > infrared and x-rays.
>
>what next, internet over wireless power?

Well technically that's just wifi.  If you really wanted to, you could use
the energy from wifi frequencies to generate power.  However given that the
power of the transmissions is so small, I doubt it would be useful, even if
accumulatively collected from a broad range of channels.

This isn't a new concept anyway.  We use to sit in Service stations at
night when the lights were out and use our radios to power the florescent
tubes.

It doesn't take much to light a tube, however, it doesn't take much power
from a CB radio to create power in a remote collector.