[LINK] Fwd: vip-l: Electronic votiing

David Goldstein wavey_one at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 14:53:38 AEDT 2006

The issue is that society in all of its elements - Government, Business and the general community - should work to build an inclusive community. One element of inclusiveness is to care about and accommodate the needs of others.

We do this in many ways - safety rails around the 20th floor balcony, lollipop people on school crossings etc. So yes, things are done differently for people who are blind. But we take into account that things are done differently for children by having the lollipop people at school crossings, by having safety rails on balconies and saying children and the elderly, and anyone else can care for themselves.

I know there are many who subscribe to the survival of the fittest in our society, but as a whole we don’t do this. Even in the 21st century in Australia we are a somewhat caring society.

Dribble about enabling paraplegics to walk is just a paper tiger, or straw man, argument. One can easily enable a person who is blind or vision impaired to vote. One can't enable a paraplegic to walk, at least most of the time.

So the issue is how to enable people who are blind and vision impaired to vote. And nobody on this last has a viable alternative. And I don’t see that anyone really has any idea on whether the setup was secure or not. Rather, it’s fear mongering and guesswork.

David