[LINK] Top posting is evil

Eleanor Lister eleanor at pacific.net.au
Thu Nov 16 16:43:26 AEDT 2006

dear sweet linkish people,
    have you really got nothing better to do with your time than argue this?

this is straight out of Gulliver's Travels ... where 2 countries had a
war over whether to break eggs at the small end or the large end.

Vicc, where are you when we need you?

Chris Maltby wrote:
>> Craig Sanders wrote:
>>
>>> top-posting is evil.
>>>

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 02:49:19PM +1100, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>
>> What really adds to the annoyance is that I am seeing more and more
>> top posting than ever before. Is this because of the preponderance
>> of email clients that insist on a top-post format when reply to emails?
>>
>> i.e. I don't think the user is responsible for this state
>> of affairs. If your mailer top-posts it is a real pain to fix up the
>> mess each time you post a reply to a list. Blame brain-dead software
>> designers who think they know everything and in fact know fsck-all about
>> HCI.
>>

> I think you can blame Microsoft for this as much as anyone - though I
> think there's an "advanced" setting in Outlook that starts your reply
> at the bottom of the quoted email - but it doesn't tag the quoted
> email in any way that works in plain-text.
>
> One of the nicer features of Eudora that the Mozilla suite could use
> is to only quote the text you have selected in the original message
> when you click reply.
>
> Chris

and i'm breaking this egg at the other end too, hehehehe.

regards,
    EL

Eleanor Ashley Lister
South Sydney Greens