[LINK] Why Electronic Voting?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Nov 17 12:28:57 AEDT 2006

I guess the whole point about electronic voting is why do it?  Why
fix a system that isn't broken?  I can't see it will cut down the
amount of work involved in elections.  It may lead to faster results
but is the expense and amount of work to get there and potential loss
of security and auditability worth a small speed up in election
counting?  I can see at least one reason to go down this path but I
don't know if it's where we as a society want to end up.

The reason:
The actual process of voting is the one place where our society is
"democratic" where we get to decide things or at least have the
appearance of getting to decide things.  Once the vote has been made
our "representatives" become oligarchs for their term of office and
they do all the actual deciding.  (And I must say here that any
system of government that allows a change of government without
bloodshed is a much better system than most of what went before but
that's really the only advance so far.)

If we had a completely electronic system of voting we could trust and
that would give us near instantaneous voting results, our society
could become much closer to a real democracy.  The question then is:
is that the way we want to go?  Is it really what our politicians want?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961