[LINK] Why Electronic Voting?

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Nov 17 15:04:44 AEDT 2006

Kim Holburn wrote:
> I guess the whole point about electronic voting is why do it?  Why fix
> a system that isn't broken?  I can't see it will cut down the amount
> of work involved in elections.  It may lead to faster results but is
> the expense and amount of work to get there and potential loss of
> security and auditability worth a small speed up in election
> counting?  I can see at least one reason to go down this path but I
> don't know if it's where we as a society want to end up.
Kim,

> The reason:
> The actual process of voting is the one place where our society is
> "democratic" where we get to decide things or at least have the
> appearance of getting to decide things.  Once the vote has been made
> our "representatives" become oligarchs for their term of office and
> they do all the actual deciding.  (And I must say here that any system
> of government that allows a change of government without bloodshed is
> a much better system than most of what went before but that's really
> the only advance so far.)
>
> If we had a completely electronic system of voting we could trust and
> that would give us near instantaneous voting results, our society
> could become much closer to a real democracy.
This is probably the point that needs the most justification - rather
than just assertion. My position is that while the "instavote" looks
more democratic, its cost is a less democratic process. You get to vote
"right now" on something, so that's a plus; but the ordinary voter can't
look inside the process, making it less democratic.

RC