[LINK] Brazillians have been doing electronic voting for years

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Nov 19 15:34:46 AEDT 2006

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:

>>> IT secretary Giuseppe Janino says the secret to the success of the
>>> process is transparency.
>>>
>>> "We make every line of code available to all political parties for
>>> auditing," he says. "In the last week, the program is finalised in
>>> front of them and digital signatures issued for each box's memory
>>> card. On start-up the box will automatically freeze if the digital
>>> signature and hash records don't match."
>>

> What did I say about delegating democracy to those who can read code?
> Here we have the problem spun as a positive. This is *not* transparency,
> because it's transparency restricted to a sub-group of people (PS: a
> reason that the political class may like and/or endorse e-voting is
> indicated in this very paragraph. "All political parties for auditing" -
> a concentration of part of the process upwards to the parties._).

I even doubt the claim in the first instance. I was under the impression
that Diebold wrote closed/proprietary systems for Windows and that the
source code is not available.

I had a cursory glance around Diebold's website and even searched for
terms like "source ode" and even "source" but found nothing of revelance
to opening up their source code.

cheers
rickw