[LINK] Another Case on Internet Publishing Responsibility

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Nov 22 10:56:09 AEDT 2006

At 10:00 AM 22/11/2006, Roger Clarke wrote:
>A federal judge in U.S. District Court in Chicago has ruled that
>Craigslist is not responsible for openly discriminatory housing ads
>placed on its site by users. In the case of Chicago Lawyers' Committee
>for Civil Rights Under Law Inc. v. Craigslist Inc., No. 06C-0657 (N.D.
>Ill.), Judge Amy St. Eve upheld Craigslist's argument that it is not a
>"publisher" of housing ads, but merely a provider of online "interactive
>services," and therefore is not liable for the content of users' posts
>under the 1996 Communications Decency Act.

I would agree with this ruling. The person responsible for the
discrimination is the person who placed the ad. As long as an online
service does NOT assume copyright by licence of the writer, and
therefore avoid liability for the text as well (that's why publishers
insist on pretty clear evidence and assertion that the stuff provided
by writers is checked, at least the good ones do), then the sole
responsible party is the person who wrote it.

Why it would come under Communications Decency is beyond me. But it
should come under a long standing legal concept of
anti-discrimination in housing. That's from the Civil Rights Acts of
the 1960s at least in the US! There should be action taken against
the poster on that basis.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005