[LINK] We?re all copyright criminals now

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Nov 22 11:36:30 AEDT 2006

On 2006/Nov/22, at 10:52 AM, Stewart Fist wrote:
>> if you record or film a busker in a public place  ... etc and et al
>
> All of this legalistic argument illustrates why we have courts,
> judges and
> juries, rather than just police and politicians.
>

> We have added this buffer of humanity and human judgement,
> precisely so that
> black-letter law isn't just applied indiscriminately and in
> ridiculous ways,
> or in ridiculous situations.
>
> The court system adds a layer of common-sense (not always apparent)
> between
> the law-makers/imposers and the public interest.

Yeah, which I am led to believe is called "rule of law".  I do find
it strange that we have a government that constantly extolls the
benefits of "rule of law" to other governments while at the same time
trying to bring much legislation into the realm of bureaucratic fiat
or regulation.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant