[LINK] We?re all copyright criminals now

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Nov 22 12:01:11 AEDT 2006

At 11:28 AM 22/11/2006, Stewart Fist wrote:

>However I've had dozens of police, security-guards, and local-council
>officers try to stop me filming/taping by using either the "you are on
>private property" ploy, or the "obstruction of traffic" claim.
>
>Whenever I was threatened in this way, I'd just zoom back to a wide-shot and
>pan around 360 degrees for evidence as to the level of obstruction/trespass,
>and invite them politely to sue or charge me.
>
>No one ever did.

Stewart, reminds me of the recent attempt at Southbank in Melbourne
where the centre owners put up signs for 'no photography', in English
only of course. The funny part was the interviews that were done by
local TV journalists asking the Japanese tourists if they knew they
were breaking the law. Of course they couldn't speak English either,
so of course they didn't understand the question. There were also
confronting questions of centre management about who thought up that
stupid idea. Lots of buck passing. I think people just ignore the
signs, as they should.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005