[LINK] Privacy-Friendly Tags for Retail Items

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Wed Nov 22 18:43:35 AEDT 2006

Adam Todd wrote:

> I don't understand why the tag itself can't be totally removed by the
> cashier as the item is cleared at the checkout.
>
> A tag that can be "torn" off by the consumer can just as easily be
> torn off by a their who intends walking out the entry just as easily.
>
> Am I missing the point of the tag? Is it stock management and theft
> protection or is there another motive?
I assume they would be concerned by people removing tags before it
reaches the cashier (or left active). The tag could then potentially be
re-applied to other products.

Question:
Whats the difference between a genuine branded product (eg. Niki) to a
counterfeit.
Answer:
Nothing, except one has payed a license fee and the other hasn't.

Vendors see RFID as potential way to ensure authenticity of their
product. (same issue applied to pharmaceutical drugs) and not just as a
stock management.

Reg
Geoffrey Ramadan